Monday, May 17, 2010

Swim Lessons

After about two years of toying with the idea of enrolling in an Infant Swim Rescue course, we finally decided to go ahead and sign both boys up last week. The first time I saw the video on the Today show, I about freaked out. The thought of babies learning to swim before they could walk seemed insane. And then I had two boys...two boys that have virtually no fear of most anything. We're around water enough, I decided for a more sane mom (a very relative term), and for safer boys, this would be a worth while investment. And an investment it is...the money and time both were reasons for us to seriously consider it. We'll be going to a ten minute, 1-on-1 class, Mon-Fri for both boys for a period of 4-6 weeks. And the cost, well let's just say I will be coloring my hair at home for awhile!

The boys had their first lesson today with Miss Courtney, and it was a serious roller coaster of emotions, to say the least. Ethan was SO excited to learn to swim without floaties, that he wore his swim suit all afternoon and told anyone that would listen what he was going to be doing. He ran into the pool area and chatted up his new teacher immediately. His tune radically changed, though, as soon as he got in the water. Her focus this week is to get the boys used to going under the water, holding their breath, and opening their eyes. After 1 time of going under water, Ethan yelled he was done and ready to go home. I am pretty sure I head him yell "I hate Aqua Man!" in the middle of too. (Aqua Man was his inspiration for learning to swim.) It was hard seeing him scream, but Miss Courtney was so good with him. After about 5 minutes of her talking to him and bouncing under water, he was done. He was not happy - until he saw Owen get in the water. Suddenly he was up cheering Owen on, telling him not to cry, and bragging about how well he did. It was crazy how quickly his mood changed. He even told us tonight that he was thankful for his swim lesson before we put him to bed! (whew)

Owen had about the same reaction as his big brother in the water...he screamed the whole time. But Miss Courtney said that he learned quickly to quit screaming before he went under water to hold his breath! I guess that's the beginning?! It took him a little while longer to calm down after exiting the pool, but he seemed fine afterward.

It was hard seeing my boys scream bloody murder, and at one point I was sure they were going to be scarred for life. Fortunately, though, there was a mom in there whose child had taken the classes last year and she told me her boy cried every day for the first week, but that to this day his favorite thing to do is float in the tub. She said she can hardly get the water high enough for him so that he can "swim" every night before bed. That was comforting. So, one lesson under belt...and a lot more to go. I'll post some pictures and video of the progress they're making as I am able. But I'll wait till the screaming has subsided somewhat first...

1 comment:

Little S said...

Wow! Sounds intense. Can't wait to hear how the next few weeks go.