Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Window

I had almost forgotten what it was like to get completely absorbed in a book - it's been way too long since I have read for "pleasure". The other night I picked up a book that Chris got for one of his classes and started to read it. It's called "The Flames of Rome" and it is a historical novel about the events leading up to the Great Fire of Rome, Nero as Caesar, and the first converts to Christianity following the book of Acts. I have not been able to put it down... I am such a dork when it comes to history - especially Roman history.

All that to say, I haven't been sleeping much this week. In theory, I like to read before I fall alseep to help me wind down. Unfortunately though, this book hasn't been condusive to winding down. See, I have this window of time between 10:00-11:15 pm that I can fall asleep without issue. But if I pass that window of time, I get my second wind and I am up till at least 12:30. I have tried to read right up to 11:15, but then I think "just one more chapter" and next thing I know I am wide awake and it's almost 1:00. Luckily it's almost the weekend where the window of sleep is irrelevant since I get to sleep in!

2 comments:

shauna said...

aah yes . .. the window. i'm the same way!

kobie said...

it makes me so excited to hear you are staying up late! i wish i could be there to have good conversations...but i guess you can read instead!