Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Quotage

I am currently reading "Signature of Jesus" by Brennan Manning. It's been really interesting. Here a few quotes that really jumped out at me from his chapter on discipleship.


"Keep a clear eye toward life's end. Do not forget your purpose and destiny as God's creature. What you are in his sight is what you are and nothing more. Remember that when you leave this earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received - fading symbols of honor, trappings of power, but only what you have given: a full heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage." [Francis Assisi]

"There are plenty of Christians to follow the Lord halfway, but not the other half. They will give up possessions, friends, and honors, but it touches them too closely to disown themselves." [Meister Eckhart]

"All that is not the love of God has no meaning for me. I can truthfully say that I have no interest in anything but the love of God which is in Christ Jesus. If God wants it to, my life will be useful through my word and witness. If he wants it to, my life will bear fruit through my prayers and sacrifices. But the usefulness of my life is his concern, not mine. It would be indecent of me to worry about that." [Dominque Voillaume] (oh, to really and truly believe that....)

1 comment:

kobie said...

somebody was just telling me how amazing this book was this weekend. i'll have to check it out.