Sunday, May 10, 2009

All Boy

We had play group at the park this past week. It was the one nice day in a week full of rain...a week full of rain that produced a lot of mud puddles. The majority of boys could have cared less about the slides and swings. They were all surrounding the mud puddle throwing rocks and sticks in it. Of course Ethan was in the mix. My first instinct was to try and distract him in hopes that he'd stay clean. But I kept hearing my dad's voice in my head telling me to "let boys be boys". So I said nothing. And Ethan proceeded to walk back and forth through the mud for about 30 minutes. The rest of the kids stayed at the edge of the puddle, but Ethan seemed to prefer standing in it. When it was time to go, I didn't even know where to start the cleaning up. Wipes did nothing. So I stripped him down, let the mud dry and we threw him the car in just a diaper. Apparently I need a summer "mud kit" in my car for next time b/c I know this won't be our last mud adventure!

Update on Owen: he's off the medication. It was nasty stuff that made him miserable. He cried more during the five days he was on it than he has in his entire life. I got him into the doctor that does OMT in Tulsa this past Friday, and she couldn't believe our other doc had him on meds. She did some manipulation on him, that should help, and gave me some other instructions (that I won't write about due to the embarrassment it might provide Owen when he's older). He's back to his happy self that has slept all night for the past 4 nights. Happy Mother's Day to me!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Way to go on the sleeping Owen! That's amazing! Of course, you know he won't do it tonight because you wrote about it :)

Amy said...

Wow- all night! that's so exciting! Good job being relaxed about the mud, and it makes sense to just let it all dry and then go. That was a good idea.