Friday, September 09, 2005

Good Times...Good Friends...and Babies

This past weekend for Labor Day, I met six of my college friends at a lake house on Grand Lake. It's a miracle in and of itself that we were able to get more than three members of the "gang" in one place at the same time. We generally feel pretty fortunate getting just four of us together. Anyway, seven of managed to free up our schedules to spend a weekend together.

When I have been asked what all we did at the lake (I think my co-workers were wanting to hear stories of pillow fights and hair braiding....guys) all I could really say was: "We talked. We ate. We laughed." Yep, that's it! Honestly, that is all we did for a little over 48 hours. As I sat back and watched everyone interact together it really amazed me that even after all that we'd been through together, we still actually liked each other and desired each other's company. Everyone genuinely cared about what was going on in everyone's lives. I felt incredibly blessed to have such amazing friends.

One strange/new/odd twist to our time together was the fact that motherhood and babies dominated the bulk of conversation. Can't ever say that was the case back in the Theta house (thankfully)... Two of the girls were/are entering into their third tri-mester, while another one brought her 4 month old along b/c, well, she's his walking milk machine and he kind of needs her around. It was so fun hearing about all of their bodies changing and preparing for the role of being a mom. I have to say that I, in no way shape or form, am ready for that next stage in life, I am really excited for them. I cannot imagine becoming a MOM. Actually, I cannot imagine being pregnant...really they weren't exactly selling the whole pregnancy idea. Hemorroids?!?!? Stretch marks? Rips and stitches?!?!? Yikes. (Don't worry mom, someday you may be a grandmother...) But even after all of the crazy things that they shared, it couldn't take way from the glow that they all had. Somehow they were all convinced that it was more than worth the wear and tear on the their bodies. I guess someday I will get to that point too. Until then...I will live vicariously through them.

I am still at 5% on the Baby Fever meter.

3 comments:

rhp997 said...

Three and counting...welcome to the jungle Ashlyn Mary Jean Stephens!
http://www.manicscribe.com/blog/2005/09/ashlyn-mary-jean.html

CrossTrainer said...

Only 5%? Nuts...

Anonymous said...

You and your brothers were worth every stretch mark I have!