Wednesday, July 06, 2011

4th of July

We had an incredibly fun and memorable July 4th holiday weekend this year. My dad's side of the family had its first ever reunion, and almost everyone on the Dodson side made it. (My rough estimate is that 37 people were there!) My cousin, Becky, and her husband, Brian, opening up their house to all the insanity, and fed us all almost every meal, had rooms/beds for three different families, clothed several kids, provided entertainment, and organized the entire weekend. (THANKS, Carlozzis!!!) It was so fun seeing all of the cousin's kids play together, and Owen even became very attached to a couple of my uncles. ("Hey, Unca Bob. What you doin'?") My kids had a blast with so many people to play with, fun things to do, LATE bedtimes, and great food to eat. (They now think that Sprite should come with every meal...) Even us "big cousins" were able to go out one night while our parents watched our 12 kids. It was a blast hanging out with everyone, and the major rain storm that we had to run back home in will forever be a fond memory. (minus my graceful run-in with a sidewalk that resulted in my sliding across concrete and almost breaking my toe!) I am so thankful for family, and it was such a good reminder that although it takes work to make things like this happen, it is so worth it for the memories and the relationships that get strengthened.
One of the things we did while we were there was go to the OKC zoo. I think the sea lion show was by far the boy's favorite thing, but they also really enjoyed seeing a lion up close, and they were pretty pumped to see a baby elephant too.
We came back the the afternoon of the 4th pretty much exhausted, but we made it to a cookout hosted by our friends the Walkers, and we came back to our driveway for some sparklers and to see some of the fireworks put on by the city. It truly was one of the best 4th of July holidays we've ever had!

No comments: