Sunday, January 20, 2013

January thus far...

Ethan's class took a trip to the Springdale Fire Department, and I don't know who was more excited...Ethan or Owen. The received a tour of the building, saw the fire trucks, and watched the firemen put on their uniforms. Owen has worn his fireman costume non-stop since then!

 Last weekend my friend, Amy, had the brilliant idea of going to a hotel and swimming. We split the cost of a hotel room and took the kids up after naps and swam the whole rainy and cold afternoon. The dads grabbed pizza and we ate in the lobby and then hit the pool for more swimming. Right before bed we threw the kids in the shower, put their pjs on, and then headed home for bed time. The kids had a blast. Thanks for the fun memory, Harris Clan.

It feels like we've spent a lot more time at home lately, and it never ceases to amaze me how the dynamic drastically changes when one kid isn't around. With Ethan at school, the house a lot quieter; Owen and Harper play really well together. I let Owen bring his grill in the other day, and they played happily together for what felt like forever. Those moments are priceless!

I just like this picture of Harper and her Papi. They're getting ready to celebrate their birthday together here pretty soon...

And lastly, my kitchen is starting to get an overhaul. Amy has educated me about GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms), and after about having a melt down after learning what I was putting into my kid's bodies, I cleaned out my pantry and refrigerator. (This wasn't even what was in my freezers.) GMOs are in EVERYTHING. I really thought we ate relatively healthy, but after watching this video, "healthy" has a new meaning. I'm working at changing my mindset and making time to really think about and prepare food for my family. Shopping at one store really isn't an option any more either as I'm going to have to hit several of them in a week to get what we need. Being in WM land, we don't have a lot of organic options. Thankfully I have several friends who have pointed me in the right directions and given me several resources in the change. I think a garden in our back yard in our future. If this city girl can keep anything alive...

2 comments:

Little S said...

Love the picture of Harper and your dad!! So cute!

Keslyn said...

How fun are you guys!?